Soviet Cooking

Almost forgotten recipes from past time
Rare Soviet cookbook published 1955 in the USSR

Sauerkraut

Sauerkraut

Sauerkraut
Ingredients
At 100 kg of cabbage requires 2.5 kg of salt, carrot 4 kg, 9 kg of apples, cranberries or cowberries 3.5 kg, 0.5 kg of cumin. Loss on sauerkraut is 12%.

Cabbage clean from green, contaminated or damaged leaves and cut off the outer part of the stem. Peeled cabbages shred or chop, depending on what type of cabbage prepared - shredded or chopped.
When cabbage filling in the well-steamed and washed barrels each layer of cabbage height of about 5-7 cm is necessary to pour salt and compacted. To give a better taste to cabbage add chopped carrots, apples, cranberries or cowberries, cumin.
You can add the cabbage and beets, which also improves the taste of cabbage, but paints it in pink color.
Filled barrel should cover washed green cabbage leaves and a clean white cloth. Cover with a wooden circle, and on him the yoke - thoroughly washed stones cobblestone weight of approximately 10% to the weight of cabbage.
When the cabbage and settles on the wooden circle appears brine height of 10-15 cm, necessary to reduce the pressure.
Formed on the surface of the brine foam has to be removed, and the edges of the barrel wipe thoroughly with a clean towel. As fermentation oppression, put on a wooden circle, should be reduced, but in such a way that cabbage all the time was covered by a brine layer at least 10 cm.
Cabbage fermentation lasts about 20 days at a room temperature of about 14°C. Fermented cabbage should be stored at a temperature of from 0 to 3°C.
You can also cook the cabbage in a pan or other suitable container taking the appropriate proportions of the ingredients.

20 comments:

  1. I don't like sauerkraut but my parents and boyfriend do. I'll have to try making this for them!

    - Hannah, www.thecatsandcoffee.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try to make my own sauerkraut --- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen a cranberry option in sauerkraut before -- very cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never thought of making my own sauerkraut, but I want to try this. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge fan of sauerkraut and having since moved to the Czech Republic, I'm getting my fair share of it! I've made it once before but never with tasty additional ingredients like your recipe has. I bet it's delicious! I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was little girl sauerkraut was not my favorite. Now I love this dish. Can't wait to try making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never had sauerkrut , interesting !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love putting this in a huge turkey sandwich. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sauerkraut! The combination of ingredients you used sounds absolutely amazing! I've never tried it with apples or cranberries. Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow,I definitely want to try this recipe - my family would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very unique and sounds yummy. I actually love love eating sauerkraut.

    Kat | PersianKittyKat.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE Sauerkraut but have never thought to make it myself. Sounds time consuming :/ lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been suggested to eat more of Sauerkraut. I am going to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I'm Polish, I love sauerkraut - it tastes really good with vegan sausages.

    I invite you to visit my travel blog and read my latest posts... I hope you'll like them :)

    http://travelekspert.com/2016/07/best-snorkeling-spots-in-bali/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tweeted and Yum-ed. My husband will love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom LOVES sauerkraut, can't wait to share this with her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Making sauerkraut was one of my mother's favorite memories from childhood. They used large beautiful white stones on top of the barrels. She still talks about it often and still has the same stones. The stones are now proudly displayed in one of her formal rooms.

    ReplyDelete

Next PostNewer PostPrevious PostOlder PostHome